Budding Chefs inspires children by providing fun, interactive, hands-on cooking experiences

Friday, February 3, 2012

Whoopie Pies February 3, 2012

I loved how independent these girls were tonight.  Katie ran the food processor and McKenna ran the mixer.  I barely had to do anything!  And Veda was such a great helper to Carys.

I had a bit of a panic attack in the middle of our recipe.  I had forgotten a key ingredient in the filling.  Luckily my neighbor Theresa was able to help me out-- I can always count on her.  Good neighbors are priceless.

Our recipe came from one of Jessica Seinfeld's books.  I'm not all about hiding ingredients from children; I tried it when the boys were young and got caught a number of times.  "What is this orange stuff under the cheese?  It doesn't look like sauce...yuck!  Pureed carrots???"  I do put some shredded carrots and zucchini into my spaghetti sauce, but that's not really sneaky, just adding a healthy ingredient.  But I was so intrigued by this Whoopie Pie recipe that uses spinach puree,  I wanted to give it a try.  And I'm soooooo glad I did.  We used baby spinach, wilted it a bit in a pan and pureed it in the food processor (and the trusty Magic Bullet...the amount of spinach was a bit too small to finish the job in the processor).  

I did swap out a couple of ingredients;  instead of brown sugar, we used organic dehydrated cane juice, and coconut oil in place of the called-for "light olive oil".  The filling will be better next time...when I actually remember to buy the marshmallow cream and don't have to melt marshmallows.  What a sticky mess!  We just added a bit more butter and vanilla to make it easier to mix.  We did use dark, dutch process cocoa, because I like dark chocolate.  Using regular cocoa would probably give a little different flavor.  

I think I originally found the recipe on Pinterest, and it's from THIS blog. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment