Budding Chefs inspires children by providing fun, interactive, hands-on cooking experiences

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Winter Classes



The holidays are crazy busy, aren't they?  I enjoyed all the fun classes we did in December.   I was ready for a nice break, spending time with family. I'm sure everyone has the same experience....sometimes the "break" is more hectic than the everyday same old-same old.  We traveled.  A lot.  Hockey in the state and out.  Visiting relatives out of town, relatives visiting us.  My father-in-law became very sick with the flu.  As soon as the kids went back to school, my teenager got it.  A few groups classes I had scheduled cancelled....due to the flu.

I decided to focus on cleaning my house from top to bottom, and making sure the rest of my family and I stayed well.  Made a batch of elderberry and rosehip syrup; a few shots a day are working wonders.

So today, I am planning my upcoming classes and I'm so excited!  I will get them on the calendar very soon.

Here's what's in the works:

For Advanced Gourmets, ages 10-up:
Chicken Gnocchi Soup, just like the one you get with unlimited breadsticks at that great Italian restaurant

Afternoon Tea with Mini Vanilla Bean Scones, just like the ones you get at that expensive coffee place  (do you see a theme here?).  And our Scones will be Paleo. That may be an unfamiliar term;  it means they will be made without refined sugar, dairy or grains.  I have begun making quite a few recipes like this.  Sometimes they work, sometimes they're not quite what I expected.

For Growing Gourmets, ages 5-9:
The Sandwich Swap--we will read the book by Queen Rania of Jordan, and make Hummus and Peanut Butter (or Sunbutter) and eat Hummus on Pitas and Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.  It's a good book with a great message about being accepting of new things.

Labels:  What's in our food?  We will read package labels and make one recipe from scratch and one from a box.  It will be interesting to see which we prefer.

For Chef Sprouts:
All About Dough--we will make various recipes from homemade dough.  Sprouts should have fun mixing, stretching, rolling, cutting.

Choose your own ingredient--We will have a recipe where we can choose ingredients.  Sprouts can either bring their ingredient or let me know ahead of time what they choose.



No comments:

Post a Comment